Saturday, October 26, 2013

Delli Belly

I always hated Delhi because of the people there. Either they are super rude or else fake sweet and all lack professionalism. The "Haan ji Sir ji" ( A "Yes sir" dripping with a bucket full of honey) be it sweet or rude, does not help if my work is not done on time due to the "Chal ta hain" attitude. ( "brushing off things like rules because people think they don't matter”)

Another thing unique about Delhi is Everybody and when I say everybody I mean Everybody has Some Political connection. Be it Friends brother in laws, second cousins- brother in laws - Uncle's friend but connection is there and however distant the connection - it is still very strong to make you want to be weary of the person to take panga ! (Pick a fight) 

And Everybody brags. be it Subtle or shamelessly - the bragging is always there. Just like air, it is critical for living in delhi. 

This time when I went to Delhi for work and was first mildly amused at my Angreji speaking driver who claimed to live in the same lane as Mrs Indira Gandhi, whose cow's / bullock's milk goes to the MPs & MLAs and I was wondering whether the bullshit was being directed towards me that particular day. His brothers are CA and CS. & his kids were born because of a baba's ashirwaad (blessings)

Being a Bombayite all my life (Yes I hate the word Mumbai) and though I have lived most of my life in Navi Mumbai, new bombayite is what I actually am but thats meat for a future blog post. Ok now I lost my point. Well whats great about bombay is we dont have time to do idle chit chat with the all and sundry. We reserve it only for people we love, care, we are curious about or we can get our work done with but still its not all and sundry. So after the initial "Ms Congeniality" version of me bid adieu, the blue blood bombayite rose and I stopped being responding too much to his non stop yapping. 


Amongst the non stop yapping I could filter out some real interesting things. 

One he believes machines cannot give you any health. Walk as much as possible. I asked him about his belli, he said " Madam ji buddha ho gaya hoon tou chalta hain". But if you think of it, what he said had a lot of depth, jogging, swimming, mountain climbing, kick boxing, yoga, martial arts did not require machine but are the great forms of workout.  

Second, in India there is atleast one Baba who will make your dreams come true. You just have to hunt for the right one. He happened to have found his and if you have your baba it gives u license to bitch about all the other babas who are dhongi (fake). I am a total Anti Baba however educated sophisticated he or she may be.. but totally agree most of us do have if not a baba, a jyothish (astrologer), a tarot card reader, a psychiatrist.. someone we can blame when things dont go our way. Ha ha am guilty of one, now you guess which one ..

Third, India is country where we blame our population size for everything that goes wrong. Which really struck me. I too give that lame excuse when I want to defend my country and its people from the criticism we always gather across the world. 

Whatever be the reason, he sure is someone I will not forget for some time soon whenever I encounter an other Delhi Cabbie with a Belli and attitude. 
Somewhere we connected throughout the pandemonium of the day and at night when I went to sleep, I did pray for his well being that night. 

Guess it is to do with being Indian. The new age Indian loves to believe he / she is independant, cares two hoots about any one other than self, is super suave to handle stress alone but beneath all the glitter is gold deep down. We do value the Indian factor that binds us mostly in pain or during cricket matches. 



No comments:

Post a Comment