Saturday, October 26, 2013

Tears of Why !

Living in India now has a new meaning for women. She has been tortured and suppressed all this while but now the rape demon has raised its ugly head past two years higher and is more powerful

Still Nirbhaya's main culprit is protected by law, the bombay rape victim verdict is yet to be out, thousands of nameless / faceless women are victim to it daily, either the family does not allow her to seek the law or she is disillusioned by law or worse still people part of our law and order system are cause of her plight ! 

Yes its nothing new and yes I can feel unsafe and yes I cant change law nor the mentality of Indians overnight. Yes I am part of rallies to raise voice against injustice to women but not every time in person. 

So what can I change ? I can change only Me !

The quote "Better safe than sorry" now has a new meaning for me. Earlier I would think its an excuse to hide your lack of courage. Today it means I have wisdom to let go. So yes no longer do I drive across the city at night alone. No longer do I go to shady place, praying that God will take care of me, no longer I dress to kill - well not if I am gonna walk down streets or go to unfamiliar place and inform my parents about my whereabouts which was very annoying thing earlier to do but now suddenly I feel safe that my parents / bro know where I am. 

I have started learning kick boxing and that gives me the hope that even though I will be alone and vulnerable I will not give up without a fight. And like they say Surprise is the best weapon. So if any girl is reading this I really urge you to enroll in some form of self defence course and check the following websites for self defence techniques but ensure you are serious and ready for a long term commitment. 

Few interesting articles around






Also some mobile applications that come handy


But here are some critical tips I have learnt over the period of time

1) ALWAYS ensure your Mobile Battery is fully charged when you are going out or Have a spare phone
2) Keep LOCATION on of your smart phone
3) Always carry some everyday use thing that can be used as weapon - dupatta, nail filer, pepper spray, long nails, sharp teeth, big heavy bag and your cool composed self 
4) Never loose cool in situations where there are too many men involved together - even if you hate it try your damnest  best to be diplomatic even if it spiritually kills you

As I live and learn more, I intend to update this list. 

So hope more humans across the world take steps to change their plight and unite against the sexual harassment demon. 

So lets not cry why but try to protect and prevent by being first aware, committing to self and spreading the word. 


No comments:

Post a Comment