Saturday, October 26, 2013

Subh Dipavali

I have not been writing for a long time. Not motivated enough as no new thoughts hit me in a long time and I let my small problems govern my life

Yesterday I was talking to an old friend who told me I should start writing back and atleast one person will read it.Felt so good that no longer I have to make my family read my blog on gun point and continuous verbal torture. He asked me to take the theme of DiwaliAnd here I go..
Every year in Bombay there is this competition between society members which is unofficial, non verbal and very fierce - who lights their house best. Why mostly amongst society members as all of us have matchbox size house and diwali gives us a means to shine brighter than the rest. Over the years the number of lights outside the house has increased every diwali and the light within our souls have diminished. Having said that, I too am an enthusiastic contender in this non verbal, not at all subtle competition, so this time I went to Crawford market to buy my unique lights and hope they are really unique :)Today the charm of diwali from sharing joy and cheer has gone to spreading awareness of ones affluence. The bigger lights, the louder crackers, the bigger or more expensive sweet and yet the ever so small hearts, the narrow thought process, the increasing apathy and worse the increasing lack of trust. Today if someone out of his or her way does anything good to me, I will first be weary of what favors does he or she want from me. So we dont accept things on face value and wrack our brains to dig deeper for the so called "real reason" behind the goodness around. This obviously discourages the do gooders to restrict their operations in most cases and the incurables ones like my parents still go on despite too many wounds. My parents both are the strong believers of the philosophy of " Do good for others without expectations and God will take care of you."Several decades of Murphy ruling their life ( The Devil's philosopher of the infamous Murphy's law - whatever can go wrong will go wrong) my parents still believe in their philosophy.My brother and me always laugh at them but hate it how totally unwillingly the same philosophy - thank god a lot dilute version has also been rubbed off into us. We too burn our fingers but keep our heart safe and call our mistakes of doing good to people who later create trouble for us as experience and move ahead.Somehow in this process our hearts have become stronger and our souls more humble. We both believe that life is too short to be happy or sad about. Its a ride, your destiny is the driver, you can give it directions but it follows the path which the gps created by God dictates. So this Diwali, Yes is will put on my unique lights, my  new floral rangoli, my recycled diyas and the shop bought sweets, celebrate another year of from darkness to light. & continue to grumble that mine was not the best lighting or rangoli and next year my zest for the best would be stronger and my source of light hopefully internal and not on the streets of Crawford market!



My last years master pieces :)



No comments:

Post a Comment