Friday, February 6, 2015

Unsung heroes

Cribbing seems to be my latest hobby. During my lunch break couple of days back a colleague and friend of mine narrated a story of house help.

The lady had three children and one of them had Thalassemia and required blood transfusion every month. Her husband on the birth of such a baby had told her to throw the child in the dumpster but she refused to budge to him and loved the child like the rest and worked extra hard to not only make ends meet but have enough to pay for the monthly blood transfusion.

So life was not easy at all for the lady but it got worse. She developed Tuberculosis and subsequently due to negligence lost her battle. The child with thalassemia too died due to negligence after that.

My friend does not know what happened to the family after the death of this lady.

I came home to my family, hugged my Ma a bit more tight, annoyed my Baba with a little extra dose of sarcasm, gave Dexter few extra minutes of ear rub and let me bhai bug me for a minute extra than his usual quota.

Lucky for me I am trying to see the brighter side of things but my heart did  shed a few tear for this spirit of this  mother, a fighter , a hero and the helplessness that engulfs us so many times.

So being a phoenix is not easy, being a phoenix is not about choice, being a phoenix is the way that you can only survive. Death may not be the end all, just a transition to a new journey and my optimistic soul says a happy journey it will be.

May your body rest in peace and your spirit rise high like a phoenix.



No comments:

Post a Comment