Sunday, September 20, 2009

Baba now I will get the toy watch for you !

With durga puja around the corner, all bengali households are abuzz with lot of activities, its the Diwali for we bengalis! Some are busy with spring cleaning.. some with last minute shopping.. some deciding with friends the agenda for this puja and yet others doing a bit of all above mentioned..

my house is a buzz with puja shopping, we girls (ma and me) had completed our shopping long back as we are very organized individuals :P.. but baba and baban as usual relied on me to ensure I literally pull my bro out of the house and to the mall to ensure the needful is done.

Two days back I went with baban to get his and baba's shopping done.Since we got exhausted doing baban's shopping I din get any of baba's done and came home with goodies for baban alone.

Baba was sitting on the couch waiting for his goodie bag and when all the bags only unwrapped clothes for baban his face fell like that of a sulking baby's. And that is when I realized he was really looking forward to his new clothes just liked a child and was heart broken when he dint find them. Of course he quickly masked the feeling and went to bed but I started feeling real bad.

Just then an incident from my childhood flashed back in my mind, once I wanted a specific toy wrist watch and realized I would not be able to live long without it after I came home, usually my baba would never give into my tantrums as a kid but that day since i was very sick and crying for the watch was making my health deteriorate, so baba went back and bought the watch from the market far from home, late at night.

The whole morning at work I was feeling restless as I felt I did let down baba in a albeit very small way, and baba would never blame me for it which I as a kid would if did he not get me the watch that night.

Our parents go through so much willingly and selflessly to ensure that we lead a comfortable hassle free life. And as they grow old, still they alone go on giving so much more. But now is the role reversal time.

Today it is my responsibility that I ensure that he gets all that he needs and wants just like as a child he did this and more for me. Of course we can never measure any where close to what our parents have done and are still doing for us but in our own small way we all try to show we understand and respect all they have done.

Baba now I will get the toy watch for you. I ensured I completed his shopping before he came home the next day and he was so thrilled to see the goody bags awaiting him and his joy made my day and relieved my soul.



2 comments:

  1. me doing almost fine now thanks ...
    heyyy that s only a blog friend .. n taking care via sms :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to no.. lol.. i guess that too is great ... taking care is a near extinct trait :)

    ReplyDelete