Sunday, September 6, 2009

learning to unlearn !

today i had gone to a Bengali singing competition, where i had to announce the names.. i pride myself that my Bengali pronunciation is not tampered but the moment i started trying to speak 100 % Bengali, it was difficult and that is when i realized i gotta improve. My Bengali vocabulary was rather limited and fluency was restricted.

When i was analyzing my flaws i was amazed to hear non Bengali kids with fantastic Bengali pronunciation singing Bengali Nazrul Geeti. The ease with which they were singing a whole 3 minute song really was commendable. I have always ensured that my spoken English does not have any Bengali swing to it and now here when i had to speak out names written in English with Bengali pronunciation i was lost !

So here started my voyage to unlearn the English was of pronouncing Bengali words when speaking in Bengali. All of a sudden my sweetest language in the world Bangla became a tongue twister. But i guess i will survive through this predicament and do some more comparing in Bengali.

No comments:

Post a Comment